This sauce is SO yummy! It is extremely versatile and I bet your non-vegan friends/family won’t be able to tell it’s vegan. The beauty of this recipe is that you more than likely already have everything you need in your pantry. The ingredients are so basic but once combined, dynamite!!!
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked)
- 2 tbsp oil ( to sautéed the onions and garlic)
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced or 1 1/2tbsp pre-minced garlic
- 1 1/2- 2 cups almond milk ( or cashew/soy/coconut/ any non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 – 1 cup of nutritional yeast (the more nutritional yeast you use the cheesier the sauce will taste)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground pepper (more or less to your taste preference)
- Bring about 2 cups of water to boil, either stove top or in an electric kettle. Pour the water over the cashews and let them soak for up to ten mins. The longer they soak the more tender they will be when it comes time to blend them.
- While the cashews are soaking, head over to your stove top. Heat the olive oil (or water if you prefer a non-oil recipe) in a small pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped onions and garlic. Sauce it for about 5 minutes, until fragrant and the onions have become translucent.
- Drain the cashews after ten minutes, and add them to your high powered blender along with the sautéed onions & garlic. Continue to add the almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend until silky smooth. ****A wise tip, start with smaller amounts of the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Keep adding until you reach your desired taste.
- Once all blended, pour the sauce over your choice of pasta and stir.
- ENJOY! don’t forget to comment your experience 🙂
- NO CASHEWS-NO PROBLEM: you can use raw slivered almonds instead of cashews, or sunflower seeds. Cashews are preferred because they’re going to give the best savory nodes of buttery and cheesy.
- YOU CAN FREEZE IT!- The sauce freezes really well! freeze in a small container but remember to leave room for expansion. To re-heat, you can use a microwave or stove top.
- Not a fan of Nutritional Yeast?- Not every one is….this recipe can be made without it, you just might lose some of the “cheesy” flavor.
- What else can the sauce be used for?????- I like to drizzle this sauce on just about EVERYTHING! It goes amazing with just about any steamed veggies. Try throwing some in your next baked potato night, you’ll be pleasantly surprised how AMAZING it is! If you want to get real crazy, throw this sauce in one of your sandwiches, mind-blowing.