This vegetable and rice bowl is hearty, healthy and nutritious. You can use it as a fun summer salad, or even bring it to a party as a side dish. Combining brown rice, vegetables and a vegan sour cream-based dressing, this recipe is a crowd pleaser! To make it even more of a fan favorite, this recipe is: gluten-free, dairy free, vegan and super TASTY!!
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water + salt)
- 1 cup cucumber (diced)
- 1 cup carrots (grated)
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 bell pepper (diced)
- 1-2 handful lettuce ( any lettuce it’s your preference)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup Cannellini beans (or chick peas or tofu for added protein)
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (if you don’t have vegan sour cream you can use a vegan mayo or dairy free yogurt)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or vinegar of choice)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 2 tsp olive oil (skip if you prefer oil free)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp italinan herb seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- water to thin
- add brown rice to a bowl and cover with lukewarm water. Soak the rice for about 15 minutes, then drain.
- bring a pot with 2 cups of vegetable broth (or water + salt) to a boil, then add rice, cover with lid. Let simmer for about 30-35 minutes (without stirring), then turn off the heat. Let it sit covered for another 10 minutes.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. If you prefer a thinner dressing, add a little water.
- Combine all veggies and rice in a salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and enjoy!
NOTES: This recipe will make about 4 servings. Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes